Communication skills are fundamental to building credibility, establishing prominence and creating effective collaborations. With this in mind, the UF College of Journalism and Communications and UF Training & Organizational Development are introducing a new professional development program that will provide participants a unique opportunity to elevate their strategic thinking and communication skills.
Designed for faculty and staff in leadership positions or for thought leaders in their fields of study, this eight-month program will help participants improve their professional performance by using evidence-based communications strategies rooted in psychology, sociology, neuroscience, political science and communications science. Participants will learn to:
- Hone storytelling skills to inspire support for a department’s mission and vision
- Develop a strategic communications framework
- Write with confidence, clarity and charisma
- Create memorable and compelling presentations worthy of the TED stage
- Facilitate high-stakes meetings with “influentials,” such as high-level administrators, policy makers and funders
- Interact with the news media to build credibility and call people to action
- Think quickly when faced with challenging communication scenarios
- Leverage social media to develop a meaningful digital network
- Build a culture of commitment—rather than just compliance
This program will meet once a month (April through December of 2017) for engaging learning activities, coaching sessions with UF communications experts and professional networking. Participants who successfully complete the series will be awarded a certificate of completion.
Applicants must be UF faculty members or exempt staff members with at least two years in a management/leadership or decision-making role at the University of Florida or have a record of thought leadership in a given field. The two years of experience criterion is waived for employees at the assistant director level and above as well as faculty. The fee to participate is $1,490, which includes all materials, facilitation fees and meals.