The UF/IFAS College of Agricultural and Life Sciences (CALS) has developed a “majors quiz” that can assist students with selecting a college major.
Students (and parents!) can take a look at the more than 20 major options available in the natural resources, agricultural sciences, life sciences and social sciences, and take the short quiz found here.
According to a 2017 report by the National Center for Education Statistics, about one-third of students in bachelor’s degree programs change their major at least once. Students don’t always find the best fit for a major or minor on their first try. When searching for majors, students should consider these questions:
- Does my skill set match the major’s curriculum?
- Do I prefer to be outside and active or in an office setting?
- Do I like to work closely with others or independently?
- Are there opportunities for advanced education if that is my goal?
- What makes me happy (not friends or other influencers)?
- What careers are available with a major of choice?
Story submitted by Dana Edwards of CALS