Working together to keep UF safe
As news of violence both regionally and nationally compels us all to be more vigilant and concerned for one another’s safety, we wanted to take a moment to remind you of the many ways UF units are working together to keep our campus safe.
What we do
- The UF Alert System is how the university sends emergency notifications to students and employees. The system relies on the information listed in the UF Identity Management System. For instructions on how to check or update your contact information, staff may visit the UF Human Resources website.
- Anyone with the GatorSafe mobile app, which can be downloaded to smartphones via Google Play and the Apple App stores, can report tips to the UF Police Department (UFPD), make emergency calls and more.
- You can also follow UF Public Safety’s social media accounts on Facebook and Twitter.
- UFPD’s Active Shooter Training, a one-hour presentation, can be requested by contacting the UFPD Community Services Division at (352) 392-1409. For related resources, please visit the UFPD website.
- A Self-Defense Awareness and Familiarization Exchange (SAFE) training taught by a nationally certified instructor is available for free throughout the year. To learn more and to register, click here.
- Florida law generally bans firearms on campus (with limited vehicle exceptions).Anyone may anonymously report illegal or unethical activities via UF’s Web Reporting System.
- UF’s Behavioral Consultation Team meets regularly to assess and develop intervention plans for students, faculty or staff in distress and to assist in interventions as needed.
- The UF Emergency Management website provides a wide range of information and resources designed to prepare you to take action in case of an emergency. In addition, you can locate your department’s Building Emergency Coordinator, your building’s point-of-contact in case of an emergency.
- Our residence halls maintain multiple layers of security, and Emergency Blue Light Phones are located at more than 300 strategic points throughout campus as an added security measure. To learn more and access a campus map of locations, click here.
- UF Facilities Services is updating 500 campus light-fixtures with LED technology and light poles compatible with new surveillance technology to increase campus safety.
How we help
In addition to these safety measures, UF provides a number of resources designed to support faculty, staff and students who might be experiencing distress:
To learn more about how UF works to ensure our campus remains safe, please see the UF Together for a Safe Campus report.