Fostering mentoring, growth and a community of scholars among faculty is a cornerstone of diversity and innovation. To that end, the University of Florida has joined the National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity (NCFDD) as an institutional member.
NCFDD is a nationally recognized independent organization that provides online career development and mentoring resources for faculty, postdocs and graduate students at more than 450 colleges and universities. This initiative came about as a result of collaborative work between the Faculty Senate chair, associate provost for Academic & Faculty Affairs and the Office of the Chief Diversity Officer.
With institutional membership, the UF academic community has access to a rich array of resources that will be of interest to all faculty ranks, postdocs, graduate students and administrators. NCFDD is focused on helping academics achieve success throughout their careers through strategic planning, improved productivity, strong relationships and work-life balance. Online programs and resources include:
- Weekly Monday Motivator
- Monthly Core Curriculum webinars
- Monthly guest expert webinars
- Access to multiweek courses
- Access to Dissertation Success Curriculum for graduate students
- Private Discussion Forum for peer-mentoring, problem-solving and moderated writing challenges
- Monthly accountability buddy matches
- Access to 14-day writing challenges
- Access to the Member Library, which includes past webinar materials, referrals and readings
A few webinars of particular relevance to administrators include:
- Rethinking Mentoring Multi-Week Course
- Managing Multiple Roles: How to be a Faculty Member and an Administrator
- Department Chair Intensive Multi-Week Course
- Successful Strategies for Faculty Diversity: Valuing Faculty Work that Promotes Equity
To claim free access to UF’s institutional membership, complete the following steps:
1) Go to http://www.facultydiversity.org/join.
2) Choose University of Florida from the drop-down menu.
3) Select “Activate my Membership.”
4) Complete the registration form using your institutional email address (i.e. @ufl.edu)
5) Go to your UF email to find a confirmation/welcome email. Click “Activate Account” in the email.